Thursday, March 18, 2010

Let's go find some crystals....or something..

Hello fellow typography fans, it's another Thursday which means another wonderful look into words in the world around us.

I hope you'll permit me to fly my geek flag this week as I examine the type of Final Fantasy titles.


This image is the title screen of my favorite game of the series Final Fantasy VIII which was the second of the series to be available on the orginal Sony Playstation.  It was one of the first of the series to also include Full Motion Videos (FMVs) for scenes in the story that were computer animated.  They are not the most advanced now, but they were at the time the game was released.

Thanks to WhatTheFont.com, I was able to identify the typeface as Runic MT Condensed.  While my adventures in font identification have had me skeptical thus far, I do believe it's an exact match.  (If not it is VERY close.)

The title screen is mainly informative. It tells anyone watching the screen at the time the title of the game (In case you forgot or something).  It's meant to be pretty, but still very readable.

As far as I can tell, the title screen of every major title in the series uses this typeface.

No comments:

Post a Comment