Thursday, February 25, 2010

The fonts on the bus go round and round?

It's CUMTD week here in the Typography garden! I spent most of last weekend wandering around Champaign-Urbana taking pictures of text for a project in ART 223. After taking some pictures of the text on CUMTD signs and the buses, I decided to use these pictures to study the type that the CUMTD uses. I have a few different examples.

This particular type I couldn't identify with either identifont or what the font. The closest I could get was Etelka Wide Text Pro Bold Italic, but the lowercase m and a are all wrong. This is the type that's used on most all the current buses for identifying it as the Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District.

Though, my husband brought it to my attention that this was not always the type for this. On the older buses, if you happen to spot one, there is a strange script font. My husband spied on earlier this week and managed to snap a picture with his iphone, so the quality isn't that great.



I tried to use What the Font on this one, but I came up goose-egg.



This type is used on most of the schedule signage and on the schedule books. According to What The Font, It appears to be Meta Book LF-Roman.

I'm not sure if this is the same as the type on the buses. I compare the images in Photoshop and it seems that they could be the same. Imagine my surprise when I ran this particular picture through What The Font and I managed to get a match! Handel Gothic Regular.

About the Usage:
It's used to provide route information and to identify the transit system's vehicles.

Where I saw it:
Well you can see CUMTD buses all over the area, but these pictures were taken mostly at the Lincoln Square Courthouse stop.

2 comments:

  1. The standard font on the buses for the name of the District is Handle Gothic with a 15 degree skew. You were close on the other font as well. It is Meta Pro Book.

    Bus bus your husband took the picture of is the only one in the fleet like that. It was a proposed design that was squashed after the first application was done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment! It's good to know that I was rather close. Do you have any more information on the design that got canceled? Why did they not change the design on that bus?

    ReplyDelete